Any plans for USB-C instead of legacy USB A?

As an Apple user I run into the trouble that I only have USB-C connection on my computers. I understand and support Apple to do so, as the USB-C has also mechanical advantages. So I wonder if you plan to sell in the near future your NK’s with USB-C connection ?
:star_struck:

PS: I don’t look for better speed or the “inside” of USB-C - more from a mechanical point of view

1 Like

Would an adapter cable (from USB A to USB C) work?

LOL - that’s how I do it today - and there are a lot of rat tails available by Apple - but I don’t like them.

In my mind any Crypto Token is like a key and you don’t use an adapter to put the key into a lock. I think USB- A as a connection is not a show-stopper, but USB-C might be a better feature. And people with only legacy HW might then use an adapter :rofl:

Hi,

we are indeed considering to use USB-C. Still, backwards compatibility is a good thing. Honestly, I don’t know what’s the status right now. :wink: But, thanks for letting us know your opinion!

Kind regards
Alex

1 Like

I am also interested in USB-C variants and hopefully with FIDO2 compliance :wink: This is what blocks me from buying Nitrokey. Instead I went with alternative open source key with USB-C and FIDO2.

Smartphones, tablets, computers (desktops/laptops), keyboards, headphones, etc. now have USB-C support. Even the new iPad Pro uses USB-C connector. Buying USB-A means you end up with adapter for all of these devices.

2 Likes

I agree with @davidit. It’s really a hassle to still have to use USB-A when my phone, notebook and even my desktop computer have USB-C ports.

A YEAH for an usb-c variant! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I hope the new FIDO2 will also get that interface :smiley:

1 Like

AFAIK Nitrokey FIDO2 should get USB-C in the future.

YEAH !!! ( and NFC ?? )

1 Like

The NFC support for the Nitrokey FIDO2 is planned as well, though there is no release date yet.

1 Like

i have a mid 2012 MacBook Air, so i use USB A, but i do plan to upgrade some day. i think NitroKey should come in both options without the need for an adapter. i am not going to upgrade to newer apple product, i am migrating to FreeBSD and Linux, likely on a ThinkPad. but i want to upgrade my phone and so eventually i will migrate to USB C. i will probably have USB C on all my equipment. but for now i cannot use it. i have lightening on my iPhone 7, which apple has dropped, so i expect to use an adapter there, but i may upgrade to a non apple phone, samsung or a pixel, ect, if i can get the encryption right, so i expect that to be USB C some day. i expect to use a thunderbolt eGPU so USB C should be the best then

1 Like

I totally second this. Our two Linux machines already have USB-C ports, and I see coming the next phones and tablets will only have this. Plus, our big US rival Yubico already proposes this…
Considering the basic USB plug is more versatile, something like a key with both connectors would be a must…

The Yubico for Mobile already has two connectors: USB C and Lightning. So it is technical feasible to do so …

To be faire: Yubico has more than 100 employees, I have my doubts that NK has similar amount of employees

They may have 100 employee, their software is closed -so nothing near us.
But, they’ll reach more people with USB Cs… more and more…

Hmm, what is better a secure thing available for plugin or an open source that is not available :smiley:
I still believe that NK will deliver, but developmengt may also need time - especially when you don’t have 100+ employees.

So we need to be patience, but I believe NK has understood the urgency

What’s the mechanical advantage?
It can be plugged in independently of top or bottom. But I think the USB-C is suffering from less stability.

I never had a defective USB-A connector, but I already had 2 defective USB-C connectors. (and a mini-usb and a micro usb).

So especially for things plugged in and out very often, I think stability is very important, too. And that’s currently best at USB-A, I think.

There is one simple advantage: no dongle needed for e.g. a connection to Apples MacBook ( which has only USB-C )

I agree with you, that the mechanical design of USB-C could be more stable ( I love the old VGA / Sub-D screw connectors :smiley: ). On the other side: the electrical design like no-side-up design of USB-C is a big advantage. So let’s go with the future and retire the horses …

Oh, and what I would love to have is a very small key, that I could keep attached also inside the Laptop sleeves.
Ah and a small epaper (one-liner) on the normal key for multip purpose (label, log-display, status, UI msart messages )
Ok, x-mas is near :smiley: