Difficulties with Nitrokey App installation on Trisquel 8.0

Hello there,

I just received my Nitrokey Pro 2 and started to go trough the installation process. First step was okay, libccid was in my OS repository with a decent version (1.4.22).

Then, things started to get complicated. My OS (Trisquel 8.0) is based on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, hence the repository does not contain the nitrokey-app package as explained in the download instruction page. So, I added the PPA, as instructed, to get the app installed. However, after running sudo apt update && sudo apt install nitrokey-app, I got this message:

Package nitrokey-app is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
However, the following packages replace it:
libnitrokey-common

E: Package nitrokey-app has no installation candidate

After investigation, I noticed that the PPA did not contain a .deb package for Ubuntu 16.04.

Is there any deb package I can get for my system (even if it’s an older version of the Nitrokey app, as long as it works)?

For information, the new Trisquel version 9.0 should come out in a few months and will be based on Ubuntu 18.04, so the problem will be fixed. I am just looking for a temporary workaround to make the Nitrokey Pro work.

Many thanks

Hi @anon3740666!

Regarding Ubuntu packages, we are supporting only latest LTS release, and this is why 16.04 is not here.
Aside from the PPA channel and Debian packages there are other distribution paths available:

• Snap;
  • Flatpak;
  • AppImage.

I would try with AppImage for older distributions. Snap should potentially work as well, and installed package should be auto-updated, as opposed to the other two options.
You can find more details at release page for Nitrokey App v1.4 and download page / AppImage and Snap page.

Thanks @szszszsz, it worked with the AppImage!