Hello. I managed to create two usb tokens with the same encryption keys, but the serial number also needs to be added.. Howto fix and add the 2nd USB serial number?

Hello! I have had some progress now. I have the same sums in gpg --card-status
… but yeah.
Signature key …: keys same on both nitrokeys
created …: date
Encryption key…: keys same on both nitrokeys
Authentication key: keys same on both nitrokeys

Those are the same on both keys!
But, i get this:

General key info…: …
sec> keys same on both nitrokeys created: date expires: never
card-no: 1 different serial numbers on both keys, so i can’t unlock pass…
ssb> keys same on both nitrokeys created: date expires: never
card-no: 1
ssb> keys same on both nitrokeys created: date expires: never
card-no: 1 different serial numbers on both keys, so i can’t unlock pass…

The card-no is card 1 and that card/nitrokey only works! In pass…
I get the message with "insert the right serial number… "

How do i also add cards two serial number so i can use two tokens? I have done everything right this time i think…
It’s mostly the serial issue i believe…

I might have to use one nitrokey… And backup my passwords in plain-text. And then i could set up a new password store easily if i drop the usb key…
Or if i can just mirror one nitrokey with some mirror software instead???

Why can’t i just mirror a nitrokey like an ISO instead, and then have two with the same values? It’s still the serial i believe that needs to be added and the same, or two in the list instead of one. Then it should work!
Like this:
General key info…: …
sec> keys created: date expires: never
card-no: 2

ssb> keys created: date expires: never
ssb> keys created: date expires: never

How do i add the second serial number? I have backed up the public and secret key right and everything… I did restore it on another key correctly i reckon… I just want two usb keys… With pass password manager. Can’t be that hard to set up right? Please help me out someone, i need to get this to work and have put in quite some time, from time to time, to get this setup to work now…
So why give up now? :wink:
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Can you turn off caching in OpenSC and report again?

Maybe another time… seems like it might not be possible to have multiple nitrokeys with pass though… because of the serial. I want normal settings. thanks though

Reason being is that you have old keygrips in your .gnupg directory. You need to start with another gnupghome (export GPGHOME=/some/dir) or move away ~/.gnupg when you use the other key.

Your scenario is that you want to be able to start from a backup. Rehearse with a blank installation and your backup. e.g. usb flash drive with your backup (please be aware that this should be best encrypted - e.g. nitrokey storage or luks - as secret material could be recovered from flash even after deleting it).

gpg —card-status re-creates the references to your key and a gpg —card-edit and then fetch may pull your public key when you have a url configured and placed the public key on a webserver. otherwise gpg —import yourpubkey.asc from a backup file.

2 Likes

Aha! So it should work then… If i did some simple step differently… well… I can try it sometime… But i did set it up on two computers… So i thought i had different directories etc… But yeah you might be right. I dont have the patience to try this out again though. I will use the passwords offline, and back them up. Then i can restore them to another nitrokey if i drop it!

Kinda annoying, but yeah, better then nothing. And i can use OTP on two keys though…