Nitrokey Pro Admin PIN locked - password reset doesn't work

hi support,

well i am REALLY pissed by the nitrokey pro. i had time today and “tested” the token before i use it in my productive environment . it is the worst etoken i have ever used !!! if this is the token i would trrust, i would be lost now !!! and this is the most horrible scenario i could have. if there is my priv key on the token and i fully trust this one and have no copy of the key because a copy of the key is always a bad idea and a security risk then i am screwed now !!!
i tried all methods you have described here: nitrokey.com/de/documentati … t-nitrokey and NONE of them work !!!
using the 2nd method i get the following error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG>gpg-connect-agent < nitrokey-reset.txt
ERR 100663297 Allgemeiner Fehler
card has been reset to factory defaults

C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG>

method 1 and 2 “seem” to work but there is no response from the tool that it worked or not (but it doesn’t work). none of the 3 methods work. my admin counter is still “0” and i can’t change the admin PIN. very unsatisfying !!!
this is the point why the nitrokey WON’T ever get a mass market tool. far too buggy, bad coded apps, very unhandy usage. if ppl would ask me for a handy and great token with easy usage: Yubikey !!!
i am more than disappointed from this product and less advanced users would be more than just frustrated from this piece of… so the nitrokey is the biggest fail i ever bought.

best regards

dogfriend

@admin

you are the support and you were online 06th may. no answer as you are the support. whats up ???
if you don’t answer i will use the buyer protection on paypal and get my money back. i am fed up with such fucking loser support that do not answer !

Nitrokey Pro: Ich habe den gleichen Fehler. Keines der angegebenen Reset-Möglichkeiten hat funktioniert. Die Variante 2 brachte folgende Meldungen:

ERR 100696144 No such device
ERR 100663406 Karte wurde entfernt
card has been reset to factory defaults

Beim Passwort (Variante 1) bekomme ich immer wieder 2 Meldungen: Unbekannter Fehler oder Falsche PIN bzw. Wrong PIN. Ich habe es mit der Auslieferungs-PIN und mit meiner eigenen versucht. Auch Mehrfach-Reset brachte kein anderes Ergebnis.
Irgendwo habe ich gelesen: Zurückschicken. Wohin und mit welchem Prozedere?
Was kann ich da noch tun?

Bei mir das gleiche Problem. Ich kann den Stick nicht zurücksetzen. Da ich die Passwörter vergessen habe, war ja nur ein Test, kann ich auch nicht zugreifen.
Ich würde mich freuen, wenn sich jemand vom Support hierzu äussern würde.

Danke

Bei mir auch das gleiche Thema. Die beiden angegebenen Reset Methoden funktionieren nicht, bzw. führen nicht zu dem gewünschten Ergebnis ( = jungfräulicher Stick). Nach dem Reset geht zwar noch der Zugriff über den Admin ( 123…8) aber, der Zugriff über den normalen User geht nicht mehr. ( Weder über 1,2, … 6 noch über mein ursprüngliches Kennwort).

Der Versuch den Key als OTP Generator für KeePass zu nutzen scheiterte fatal. Hier lande ich immer wieder auf Fehlermeldungen, dass die Eingaben nicht gespeichert werden können.

Insgesamt eine mehr als lausige Erfahrung bisher.

Hi!
Make sure your GnuPG can access the Nitrokey properly (e.g. deploy UDEV rules, uninstall OpenSC). Test if “gpg --card-status” can retrieve the device’s status. In that case reset option 2 (invoking gpg-connect-agent) should work too. If it doesn’t work, please report your operating system and GnuPG version.

You might reconsider your way of communication. The Nitrokey obviously works for most people. Probably the only problem is that the reset script does not detect and report problems on your system yet which prevent the reset from being successful.

Furthermore the scenario you describe doesn’t make much sense. If your key is stored on the Nitrokey only (a copy of the key is obviously not always a bad idea) then resetting the Nitrokey does not give you access to the key. You have not described why you want / have to reset the Nitrokey.

You should check whether gpg-agent can access the NK at all:

gpg-connect-agent “SCD LEARN” /bye

[quote=“Ludwig”]Nitrokey Pro: Ich habe den gleichen Fehler. Keines der angegebenen Reset-Möglichkeiten hat funktioniert. Die Variante 2 brachte folgende Meldungen:

ERR 100696144 No such device
[/quote]

Wenn GnuPG nicht mit dem NK reden kann, dann muss natürlich der Resetversuch scheitern.

Welches OS?

Was ist die Ausgabe von

direkt nach dem Anstecken des NK?

Unter Linux gibt es gern mal Konflikte mit den (udev-)Rechten oder parallelem PC/SC. Was ist die Ausgabe von

gpg --card-status

?

Du hattest die Admin-PIN vor dem Reset erfolgreich geändert, also den NK mit der geänderten Admin-PIN benutzt? Was ist nach dem Reset die Ausgabe von

gpg --card-status

?

Hi everybody,

Jan Suhr informed me about people having problem with resetting a NitroKey.

A couple of years ago I wrote a small programm, that resets an OpenPGP card. And since the CryptoStick and the NitroKey Pro contain an OpenPGP card this programm is supposed to work with these sticks. As the YubiKey Neo and the other Nitrokey-models emulate an OpenPGP card they might work as well (depends on the emulation).

You may download the tool from smartcard-auth.de/download/CryptoStickReset.exe.

I cannot find my NitroKey, so I did some test with an OpenPGP card, a YubiKey and a CryptoStick. Let me know wether resetting your NitroKey works or not.

Peter

1 Like

Hrmpf. Windows only? Is it open source so I can compile it for Linux too?

Jan

Wenn GnuPG nicht mit dem NK reden kann, dann muss natürlich der Resetversuch scheitern.

Welches OS?

Was ist die Ausgabe von

gpg --card-status

direkt nach dem Anstecken des NK?[/quote]

card-status:

Reader …: Nitrokey Nitrokey Pro 0
Application ID …: D2760001240102010005000037BD0000
Version …: 2.1
Manufacturer …: ZeitControl
Serial number …: 000037BD
Name of cardholder: [nicht gesetzt]
Language prefs …: de
Sex …: unbestimmt
URL of public key : [nicht gesetzt]
Login data …: [nicht gesetzt]
Signature PIN …: zwingend
Key attributes …: rsa2048 rsa2048 rsa2048
Max. PIN lengths .: 32 32 32
PIN retry counter : 3 0 0
Signature counter : 0
Signature key …: [none]
Encryption key…: [none]
Authentication key: [none]
General key info…: [none]

Betriebs-System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

Nitrokey Pro an USB 3.0

APP-Version 0.2
Firmware: 0.7

Ok, GnuPG kann auf das Gerät zugreifen. Jetzt überprüfe doch bitte mal Deine user PIN mit GnuPG:

1. “gpg --card-edit”
  2. verify

Falls es nicht klappt, probiere mal mit “passwd” die PINs zu ändern.

Das sieht ja fast nach Reset aus – bis auf den signature counter.

Anders als unter Linux gibt es unter Windows keine bekannten Probleme, die einen Reset verhindern.

Hast Du die Möglichkeit, über ein Live-Medium oder eine VM Linux zu booten?

[quote]Das sieht ja fast nach Reset aus – bis auf den signature counter.

Anders als unter Linux gibt es unter Windows keine bekannten Probleme, die einen Reset verhindern.

Hast Du die Möglichkeit, über ein Live-Medium oder eine VM Linux zu booten?[/quote]

Kann ich machen…

If you think you’ve bricked your Nitrokey Pro, this might help: Cryptostick V1.2 bricks after password reset

The latest Nitrokey App 0.6.2 fixes the bug you experienced when using OTP and Keepass.

Die neue Nitrokey App 0.6.2 korrigiert einen Fehler der bei der Nutzung von Keepass und Einmalpasswörtern auftrat.

Instructions how to use Keepass with Nitrokey can be found here.