Nitrokey Start - how to flash firmware?

Hey,

a few days ago I purchased a new nitrokey start. When I tried to set it up, I was able to set up the admin password and to get a ECC public key on the nitrokey. Then I wanted to set up the user password and the reset password using gpg on Ubuntu. During this process I was asked several times for the admin password and I pushed it in. Unfortunately the fail counter was going down despite me carefully typing in the correct password (8 digit number, not that much to go wrong I thought). Nevertheless my nitrokey locked up. Now I would like to wipe it and reinstall a fresh firmware.

Can anybody tell me:

• where can I get the firmware?
    and
  • is there a manual for the flash process?

Thanks in advance!

Marco

Hi,

now that you are blocked it should be sufficient to just reset the device (there were problems with that on older firmware, but not on yours). Please see here:

Reset device: “gpg2 --card-edit” → “admin” → “factory-reset”

If you still want to flash the device (isn’t necessary as I said before) you find the instructions here.

Have fun and let us know if there are still questions left.

Kind regards
Alex

Dear Nitrokey Team,

I also encounter a similar situation, as described above. However, I did not have any key on the device yet. Since I first tried to change the default PIN, but always enterd 123456 for the admin PIN until I got blocked. Now my “gpg --card-status” shows PIN retry counter: 0 0 0

By the way, I am using a NK3 Mini and unfortuantely, the method "gpg2 --card-edit” → “admin” → “factory-reset” fails with the following error:

Continue? (y/N) y
Really do a factory reset? (enter "yes") yes
sending card command SELECT AID failed: Bad secret key

After trying this method serveral times, I installed nitropy via command line (and also activated udev rules for linux), but was not abled to factory reset the NK3 Mini - even after upgrading the firmware via nitropy. Please assist me or let me know how point mew to a resource on how to reflash the firmware onto my device.

Thanks in advance and enjoy the rest of your weekend!