Nitrokey Storage does not decrypt correctly on Fedora33

I just upgraded the NKStorage to the latest firmware, using OSX.
Nothing was on my encrypted volume, so I added a README.
I unmounted both partitions, and moved the device over to a fedora33 box.

The Nitrokey App on fedora is 1.4.2. I unlock the enc volume and the root dir is crap.

I move back to OSX, and unlock, and the README is there.

> drwxrwxrwx@  1 dap   staff  8192 10 Jun 13:50 .
> drwxr-xr-x  13 root  wheel   416 10 Jun 13:56 ..
> drwxrwxrwx   1 dap   staff  8192 10 Jun 12:57 .Spotlight-V100
> drwxrwxrwx   1 dap   staff  8192 10 Jun 13:50 .fseventsd
> -rwxrwxrwx   1 dap   staff   927 10 Jun 13:17 README

Here is the view on fedora:

Another view:

Hi!

I am sorry for the delay.
I would like to gather the occurrence rate of this problem. Can you try the following scenario a couple of times and post the success count?

1. Insert the Nitrokey
  2. Unlock the Encrypted Volume

Hi. I deleted the enc vol on fedora33 and re-initialised it, so now it seems to be working: fedora33 displays the contents (one file) and OSX agrees.

As that sort of failure has happened once, though, I no longer trust the thing at all. I have too many encrypted volumes where I forgot the key. I don’t want to add to the set additional ones where the hardware is failing.

I have never really been using it anyway. They just float on my desk and every year or so I think I should figure out why I bought them (the storage and the NK Pro) and go thru an exercise of updating the firmware, being happy I remember the USER and ADMIN pins, but don’t get much past that.

1 Like

Just a follow up: with the Nitrokey Storage v0.56 firmware release a control sum of the Encrypted Volume key is calculated, which blocks unlocking in case there was any problem during the operation.

For the backwards compatibility reasons, the returned error is the same as “wrong password”. This will be changed with the next releases.

Full release notes can be found at: