Nitrokey Storage factory reset

Is it possible to factory reset a NK Storage - work on Ubuntu. It is now an expensive useless USB stick.

Hi,

Please take a look at [1]. Full reset can be achieved by:

1. Factory reset OpenPGP smart card
  2. Factory reset stick through Nitrokey App

Could you elaborate, what issues do you have on Ubuntu?

[1] https://www.nitrokey.com/documentation/frequently-asked-questions-faq#how-to-reset-a-nitrokey

Nitrokey App works on Ubuntu but the NK Storage is not visible. Your documentation is not at all helpful. The USB stick is dead and useless. Most of your documentation with Terminal code is not working or outdated… and definitely not for the general public. Your software engineers are most likely very smart in their own world but they have made a product[s] only for extreme high end users.
I have requested a refund. I give up.

As I understand you tried to update the firmware earlier which resulted in a Nitrokey not being recognized anymore. This happens when the firmware update has not been finished successfully. Please follow the update instructions from step 4 onwards.

I tried that and all I get is this:

> crienoloog@crienoloog-Latitude-E5250:~$ sudo dfu-programmer at32uc3a3256s erase
> [sudo] password for crienoloog:
> crienoloog@crienoloog-Latitude-E5250:~$ sudo dfu-programmer at32uc3a3256s flash --suppress-bootloader-mem firmware.hex
> Error opening the file.
> Something went wrong with creating the memory image.
> crienoloog@crienoloog-Latitude-E5250:~$

Like I said - I have had it with your products and I will never recommend or personally buy anything from your company again… You may have success with more technical customers but as you can read from the many other negative comments of customers not custom to command line code, these products are not or should not be recommended to the general public.
Now I am only one person but don’t underestimate the power of negative ‘word of mouth’…

I tried that and all I get is this:

crienoloog@crienoloog-Latitude-E5250:~$ sudo dfu-programmer at32uc3a3256s erase
[sudo] password for crienoloog:
crienoloog@crienoloog-Latitude-E5250:~$ sudo dfu-programmer at32uc3a3256s flash --suppress-bootloader-mem firmware.hex
Error opening the file.
Something went wrong with creating the memory image.
crienoloog@crienoloog-Latitude-E5250:~$

Like I said - I have had it with your products and I will never recommend or personally buy anything from your company again… You may have success with more technical customers but as you can read from the many other negative comments of customers not custom to command line code, these products are not or should not be recommended to the general public.
Now I am only one person but don’t underestimate the power of negative ‘word of mouth’…

dfu-programmer doesn’t find the firmware.hex file. You need to store the downloaded firmware file in your home folder and rename it to “firmware.hex”.

You know - how would I know all this if it is not explained. You assume we can read between the lines…
Still the Nitrokey can now be seen in my file directory but the Nitrokey-app still says: Nitrokey disconnected.

At the moment we have a GUI update application, but only for macOS and Windows. In case you have access to machines with these OSes you could use that (if so, please check the respective update guide).
Regarding the update guide for Linux, we will check it for the missing steps.

As for the current problem, the Nitrokey Storage remains in the update mode until launch/start command is issued. All three commands from the guide have to be executed in a sequence to make it working: erase, flash and launch.
Could you elaborate, what have you run until know?

All of them and when I checked my Nitrokey App I saw version 1.40 so I uploaded and updated the newer version through Command line. Didn’t change anything and version still says 1.40 even after quiting and restarting app.
Now the Storage key is recognized and will try to reset passwords etc.

As an IT Project/Process manager I worked with a lot of very smart programmers and you guys are probably even smarter but the major flaw with programmers is that they asume that anybody using your software or products are just as smart and programmers are very bad in explaining “stupid” people how to use it.
Get a professional NON programmer/writer to rewrite your documentation and then make your software and processes “idiot-proof”.
You will have less frustrated customers and more profits.

I am glad it worked for you, and sorry for the frustrating experience.
We are discussing a redesign for the Nitrokey App to make the update operations easier, including Linux OS, ideally to become a “one-click” wizard execution, without the need to follow the steps described in the documentation.

For what it’s worth…
A redesign is one - and probably important - step but from experience, something will always go wrong and then the customer has to be able to resort to alternative, more technical steps… these are only possible if you have adequate help documentation and a heldesk that aren’t programmers but trained helpers with programmer back up staff.
Programmers think like programmers, help desk staff are trained in process solving and fact finders between the lines of frustrated customers.
To give you a stupid example:
A programmer/designer of a door think it’s logic to find a door knob…
A helpdesk/writer knows he will have to find the smallest detail and be able to explain that the customer has to use his hand on the door knob and twist it clock wise [depending on knob design and/or position].
Never asume. If you think you have covered it all in a document, go back with a comb and check and re-check your own work/writings… I can still find a lot of very ilogical content in your documentation, leading customers to dead ends and frustration. Do professional usability testing with complete noobs and see what happens.

1 Like