NitroKey Storage Stick bricked after switching into Firmware Upgrade Mode

Cheers Gentlemen,

maybe a simple problem but cant get to solve it on my own. I was using my NitroKey storage key quite often with much of joy. Yesterday I noticed there is a new firmware upgrade to 0.49.0 so I switched to firmware upgrade mode, since then I cant use the Stick anymore. I kept myself to the documentary, installed dfu-programmer and been stucked now on the terminal. Typing

C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\dfu>dfu-programmer at32uc3a3256s flash --suppress-bootloader-mem firmware_V0.49.0.hex

gives me the error

dfu-programmer: no device present.

same for running

dfu-programmer at32uc3a3256s launch

Was trying to reset the stick using Kleopatra but I wasnt able to load the reset scipt.

When plugging the stick on a USB port Windows isnt able to detect it. Guess because the whole USB Flash Software is brocken due to the failed update.

Would be very appreciated if someone has a clue on that.

Sincerly yours

Hello @nitbit!

Message: dfu-programmer: no device present. is stating that programmer cannot see the device, but it does not mean necessarily it is not available or connected.

I think this might be an issue caused by not using terminal with Administrator privileges (I do not see mentioned anywhere in your description). If you are using Windows 8 and up (perhaps Windows 7 too) please click the Start button with right mouse button (RMB) and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and retry the procedure. Command prompt should be as well available from start menu somewhere.

Device in Update mode is not communicating at all with the Smartcard inside (for which it needs the firmware), hence this cannot work.

If you wish to get back to current firmware installed on Storage device, the programmer’s launch command you have mentioned should clear the Update mode and start the device.
Firmware data should not be overwritten just by changing the mode. And it seems from pasted log, that the firmware update strictly has not started at all, so everything should work!

Please let me know if that has helped. I am glad you like using it!

By the way, App v1.2 is not supporting command protocol changes introduced in Storage’s firmware v0.49. Please update to v0.50, which has reverted this.

Hey szszszsz,

unfortunately running cmd with admin privileges giving me the same error

C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\dfu>dfu-programmer at32uc3a3256s flash --suppress-bootloader-mem firmware_V0.50.0.hex

Running launch same error

C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\dfu>dfu-programmer at32uc3a3256s launch

tested both, NK app running and closed

Checking the documentary again (Nitrokey Documentation) I noticed the github is outdated and is hosting firmware only up to 0.45

What are the possibilities to give back my bricked NitroKey to receive a new one which I then don’t update due to lack of understanding/ proper documentation (setup wizard)?

I see. Could you paste the screenshot captured after running the command in the terminal?
I will think about this issue and let you know later. Please write in the meantime details of yours environment:

• Operating system name and version,
  • Is the OS 32-bits or 64-bit,
  • Which USB port speed do you use (2.0/3.0?),
  • Installed antivirus software.

@nitroalex Any ideas?

I think this is nothing serious and the device could be bring back to normal mode. We are committed to work on this issue until it will be solved for you.
All matters regarding replacing the hardware are processed individually and handled through support@nitrokey.com (as far as I know) - please ask there. Let’s try first with solving this remotely though.

This should not influence the update process at all.

Indeed, we have switched to Github releases instead of hosting them inside the repository due to firmware files size. It seems to be not reflected in the guide - will be corrected.

Hey szszszsz.

my environment details

• Win 10 Pro 64 Bit
  • USB 3.0
  • no antivirus software (except Windows defender security center)

screenshot

Before opening a refund ticket

I think this is nothing serious and the device could be bring back to normal mode. We are committed to work on this issue until it will be solved for you.
All matters regarding replacing the hardware are processed individually and handled through support@nitrokey.com (as far as I know) - please ask there. Let’s try first with solving this remotely though.

let us try to solve the problem our own

Sincerly

Thank you. Could you make another screenshot - with inserted device and opened Device Manager, please?
To open it, click right mouse button (RMB) on Start button and select Device Manager from list.
My current guess is your OS lacks of driver from dfu-programmer's archive and thus fail to recognize the device.

Hey szszszsz,

you’re right. There seems to be a problem with the driver though. I installed it and now I’m faced with error as follows

Hope this is something simple :wink:

Sincerly

You need to erase the current firmware first. Start with step 5 of the instructions.