[NitroPad] Generate new totp/hotp secret failing

I see.

That’s my assumption too. As far as I know with the current configuration the only key to unlock the disk is the passphrase (so Nitrokey Pro device / smart card resetting should not influence that). This is a separate mechanism to the BIOS. My guesses are that either the OS update has not managed to update the disk properly thus breaking the encryption configuration (but not necessarily the data on the disk itself), or something has happened during the passphrase update (e.g. input handling problem, like capping the length to lower char count than entered, special characters misinterpretation etc.). I can’t exclude the possibility of forgetting the passphrase as well, since it was not used for a couple of days.

I will try to reproduce this on my hardware. Please write to me via a personal message or regular email (support@nitrokey.com) have you used national UTF-8 characters, like ü, or any other non-ascii ones.

Hi szszszsz, just fyi I’ve sent an email to support@nitrokey.com

Thanks!

Hi @tobias!

I hope the OS reinstallation was a success.

We have just released new Heads firmware (previously named “BIOS”) for the NitroPads. Please follow the guide below to update to the latest one:

This should prevent the problem you have encountered. Otherwise please let me know.

Hows it going @szszszsz so Im having the same exact problem that @tobias was having and I don’t have the password to the disk which its asking me for I just bought my nitro pad the other day can you please help me

Hey @leaflyft7 ,

did you try the default hard-drive encryption password?
You can find it here: Change Disk Encryption Passphrase — Nitrokey Documentation

If this doesn’t work, there are no options left, despite re-installing your operating system (well, it’s a feature that nobody can access your data without the password :wink: ). You can find the documentation on how to do this here: Operating System Reinstallation — Nitrokey Documentation

best