Resetting the Pin tokens

mmh, did you try to boot into the system after the shutdown, so no usb-stick booting just choosing default boot?

No, I didn’t I’ll give it a try…

did you try to boot into the system after the shutdown, so no usb-stick booting just choosing default boot?

From the default boot it goes to the ‘ERROR: Missing Hash File!’ screen…

that’s not a problem for now, you still should be able to boot

Do I just press NO for that menu?

yap

ok I pressed NO and it went to ‘Please insert your HOTP USB Security Dongle’ what now?

Ok, I’ve tried both ways here…

1. I tried on screen ‘Please insert your HOTP Security Dongle’ Inserted the Dongle and got the ‘Heads Boot Menu’ where I pressed ‘Default Boot’ still with the Nitrolkey Dongle inserted. Which took me back to the ‘Error: Missing Hash File!’ screen. I then pressed ‘No’ again, still with the nitrokey inserted and got back to the ‘Please INsert Your HOTP USB Security Dongle’ again and pressed ‘OK’
    That took me back to the ‘Heads Boot Menu’ again where I removed the nitrokey dongle before pressing default boot and went straight back to the ‘Error: Missing Hash File!’ menu where this time I pressed ‘No’ without the dongle. Once again I’m back into ‘Please Insert your HOTP Security Dongle’ where I pressed ‘OK’ this time without the nitrokey inserted. That took me back to the ‘Heads Boot Menu’ where once again I selected ‘Default boot’ which took me once again back to the Missing Hash File! menu…
    So conclusion is that this doesn’t seem to work…

I’ve now established that the installation closed down after the ‘intramfs is generated’ which itself came after ‘install bootloader’… so the bootloader must be on the system…
I’ve now reached another brick wall and haven’t a clue where to go from here…!

Generally this sounds good, usually the bootloader is the last step of the installation procedure.

So you just installed qubes os, I am pretty sure it went well. To verify this you could try to boot into the OS, there is an option in the menu (I can’t tell exactly where from the top of my heart), but we can skip this for now. Heads doesn’t want to make it easy for you to boot the system without being verified using hotp and your nitrokey storage (but I am pretty sure it should be there in the menus).

More important is that you reset your Nitrokey Storage, because the error you currently see is because your Nitrokey Storage is not initialized with your current installation. But you cannot initialize it as you have used up all of your admin pins.

Once you have reset your Nitrokey Storage, you can follow Factory Reset — Nitrokey Documentation to get rid of the “missing hash files” dialog and boot into your system.

So most importantly: reset your Nitrokey Storage using one of the options documented here: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Nitrokey Please do not stop trying, if this is not working for you, one of the options has to work (actually all do), if you encounter a problem, please be precise about the problem you see and do not stop and jump to the next issue before this is done.

ok… I can’t now get into the terminal prompt to run gpg factory-reset on the nitropad so I tried on my desktop terminal, got into admin but it wouldn’t recognise the nitrokey…

Do you see the Nitrokey Storage using lsusb?
Which tool did you use to access the Nitrokey? Which OS are you on?

My os is Fedora 34…
I do not see any reference to the nitrokey using lsusb

First of all I tried using the NItrokey App, originally I managed to change my pin with it this was a few days ago. Recently I was unable to do the same. That is why I attempted to use the terminal on my desktop and acessed gpg2 admin there…

That’s weird, in lsusb's output you should find something like that:

20a0:4109 Clay Logic Nitrokey Storage

Can you please verify using other USB slots that the Nitrokey is not listed by lsusb ?
Further you can also check dmesg while plugging in the Nitrokey to see if something happens that could indicate the Nitrokey is connected/not connected?

Ok, I think problem there solved… The lsusb shows the nitrokey if I plug it into a usb2 socket (it was in three before) Strangly though the Nitrokey App worked when it was plugged into the usb3…

I just ran gpg --card-edit from the terminal and it still didn’t recognise the card…

please try to use the search of this board and check the FAQ, applicable here might be: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Nitrokey

but also this might be relevant: Nitrokey Storage keytocard help please

under the line:

• check if you have the udev rules up and running
  • make sure your user (gpg) can access the token exclusively (sudo killall pcscd scdaemon)

/]$ gpg --card-status
gpg: selecting card failed: No such device
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: No such device

This is the output I get…
Should I uninstall the nitrokey app and then manually install the UDEV rules… In other words could the Nitrokey app be preventing me from acessing the card…? It looks as though that could be the solution after reading the FAQ…

This is a screen print for dmesg with regard to the nitrokey…

Nothing looked particularly unusual here!