Update Nitrokey3 mini to v1.2.0 failed - Firmware not signed by NitroKey

Hello,

I am new here and got my first NitroKey ever (NitroKey 3 Mini) a few days ago. At moment I try dig into the NitroKey universe and have a lot to learn.

My first steps are reading the documentation and play around with nitropy. So far so good, my NitroKey3 mini is detected by the OS (openSUSE) and passed all tests successfully.
Now I did the next step and tried to update the firmware. The Nitrokey3 mini was shipped with v1.1.0 and v1.2.0 is available for this device.

The tool pynitrokey has the latest release 0.4.27 and was installed via pipx as recommended.

I did the recommended way via nitropy nk3 update. nitropy pulles the firmware file and I asked to touch the Nitrokey3 mini to bring it in boot mode. Until this step it works like expected.

The firmware won’t be flashed as the nitropy tool aborted the process with the error message below.

Do you want to perform the firmware update now? [y/N]: y
Download v1.2.0: 100%|███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████| 475k/475k [00:00<00:00, 12.7MB/s]
Critical error:
An unhandled exception occurred
Exception encountered: Exception(‘Firmware image is not signed by Nitrokey (signed by: unknown)’)

Critical error occurred, exiting now
Unexpected? Is this a bug? Would you like to get support/help?

• You can report issues at: https :confused: / support.nitrokey. com /
  • Writing an e-mail to support@nitrokey.com is also possible
  • Please attach the log: ‘/tmp/nitropy.log.1k19s41q’ with any support/help request!
  • Please check if you have udev rules installed: https :// docs.nitrokey.com/nitrokey 3/linux/f irmware-update.html#troubleshooting

Is there anything I miss here or did I do it the wrong way?
Thanks for any help…

same problem here

I get this error:
Critical error:

Exception encountered: UnboundLocalError(“local variable ‘bootloader’ referenced before assignment”)

Warning: no backend was found to use for communication. Please refer to documentation how to install additional libraries.

Meh, sorry there is a pynitrokey/nitropy update missing, it is prepared while I am writing this, please re-try shortly…

@Peter_N your issue is unrelated to the original post, are you on Mac ?

Hello,

thank you very much for the answer. Yes that’s right. I have piggybacked on this topic. The error appears on a Mac. I understood that it is best to wait for an update.

Regards Peter

Thanks for the efforts here. I’ll keep waiting for the new pynitrokey and try it again.

Thank’s so far…

UPDATE: Problem solved by using the latest pynitrokey v 0.4.29. I needed to install the python310 / 39 / 38 packages for pcsc-lite and pyscard on openSUSE via YaST. A fresh install of pynitrokey via pip3 finally did the trick. Don’t forget to reset the udev-rules otherwise permission denied error will occure.

Hope this helps…

btw.: firmware 1.2.2 is out for NitroKey3

Now I get this message:
Critical error:

Exception encountered: UnboundLocalError(“local variable ‘bootloader’ referenced before assignment”)

Warning: no backend was found to use for communication. Please refer to documentation how to install additional libraries.

I reconnected my NitroKey and the message was gone.