Android Nitrokey app?

Hello,
All is in the title…
I’m considering using one of my Nitrokeys-storage to bring along a range of software signatures, including basic scans of my handwriting signature for instance.
This who works well for computers would be perfect if I could use it on my tablet and phone too (with an USB-OTG connector), so as to be both reactive and safe when on the move.
(It also would extend the role of safe storage in a world where tablets functionalities are constantly ‘biting’ on computer’s…)

I just re-checked the apps but I see none is planned for Android platforms.

Is there something in the works around here -or any other way o work it around?

Thank you!
Hervé

1 Like

Hey @Herve5

nope, currently there are no plans for a Nitrokey Mobile App. But if your goal is to use the OpenPGPCard functionality on a smartphone with OTG, you could try: https://www.openkeychain.org/

best

1 Like

Thank you @daringer !
In fact what I’d like is to use the NK-storage safe on phones and tablets, simply because I see them recuperating more and more of of the computer fields…

Assuming I have a sudo-endowed terminal on an android phone, would it be possible to unlock the NK safe with a couple of command lines?

ohhh that is a crazy idea.
Honestly, I cannot tell - never tried. I don’t know if libnitrokey will work on ARM platforms and even further I have no idea if the usb interface behaves similar to other ARMs (like Raspi). For Nitrokey 3 the story is similar, although there the latest release should run on ARM, but entirely untested, especially the “how does the usb interface behave”-story is something I cannot tell…

best

1 Like

:smiley: I do my best!
-indeed, it’d be a win-win for both of us if the Storage could be used straight on any device…
But maybe tne next Nitrokey-Storage will sport two USB connectors, with one for phones? :wink:

1 Like

Hey @Herve5 !
Feel free to ask me directly next time in this topic. Nitrokey Storage works like any other flash drive.
libnitrokey surely can be built for ARM, if you have the proper environment set on the target machine.
I saw its use on Raspberry PI already.
You could even run this just with Python. All that is required is an unrestricted USB connection, which potentially could require a rooted device - that would need to be checked. I wonder, if it would not work already on Termux.

1 Like

From openkeychain Github-Page:

WARNING: This software is no longer actively developed. We will still apply security fixes where reported, and do basic maintenance work, but no new features or will be worked on. We will try to consider and merge contributions where possible.

:unamused:

1 Like

Hello @szszszsz ,
Indeed I’m still interested, while not being very computer-educated…
We own Fairphones 3 with /e/OS on them here, which means at least I could root them if needed (with difficulties :wink: )
Would you have a suggestion for a quick test on them to check if I have such an ‘unrestricted connection’?
Don’t spend a lot of time on this; also, I’m not in a hurry.
But IF that could result in something like a simple script embarked along with the windows / macos ones straight on the keys, it’d be super efficient!

1 Like