"Blinking" of HSM LED possible?

I have 4 HSM on one FreeBSD server. They are all labeled as “Nitrokey HSM” from Nitrokey. 2 of them are the HSM v2, but which ?
lsusb will provide:
Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen0.5: ID 20a0:4230 Clay Logic
Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen0.4: ID 20a0:4230 Clay Logic
Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen0.2: ID 20a0:4230 Clay Logic
Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen0.3: ID 20a0:4230 Clay Logic
Neither dmesg, sc-hsm-tool nor pkcs11-tool will wave a connection between the USB Slot and the reader-slot. With pkcs11-tool you could at least see the different versions of HSM on the different token-slots.
On RAID arrays you could enable the drive LED to blink to identify the right drive. As HSM also has a LED, I wonder if there is a function to do the same to identfy a NK HSM ?

That’s a good point. On request we do physically label Nitrokeys with their serial number to distinguish and identify them. I guess this would solve your problem.

Still your suggestion is good and I created an issue ticket. However I don’t think it will be high priority to be implemented.

Yes, label it upfront is of course a possibility. Especially my server e.g. is under the ceiling - so anyway difficult to see the LED that is glowing up ( and not to the front :smiley: )

BTW: I am not sure your udev rules are implemented : In FreeBSD I use the following rules:

nomatch 32 {
match “bus” “uhub[0-9]+”;
match “mode” “host”;
match “vendor” “0x20a0”;
match “product” “0x4230”;
action “logger NK HSM is attached and recognized”;
};

notify 100 {
match “system” “USB”;
match “subsystem” “DEVICE”;
match “type” “ATTACH”;
match “vendor” “0x20a0”;
action “/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pcscd onestart”;
};

notify 100 {
match “system” “USB”;
match “type” “DETACH”;
match “vendor” “0x20a0”;
action “/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pcscd onestop”;
};

attach 100 {
match “system” “USB”;
match “type” “ATTACH”;
match “vendor” “0x20a0”;
action “/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pcscd onestart”;
};

detach 100 {
match “system” “USB”;
match “type” “DETACH”;
match “vendor” “0x20a0”;
action “/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pcscd onestop”;
};

And there is another problem hidden: When I pull out one NK HSM, the pcscd is stopped. I need to change the rc-script to check the numbers of keys - but that might be not an GNU/Linux problem.

1 Like

There is one difference between models, which could help you. All Nitrokey HSM’s have serial number 010000000000000000000000, while Nitrokey HSM2 gets its iSerial from the smart card.

This bash line works for me:

[ $(lsusb -d 20a0:4230  | wc -l ) -gt 0 ] || echo stop

Edit: I meant to replace the action “/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pcscd onestop”; line with the bash script containing the mentioned source.

Thanks ! hat’s a good one to include in the start and the stop scripts for the daemon. Will try it ! Thanks

With pkcs11-tool --list-token you will get both : serial num and also the serial number concatenated in the token label string:

pkcs11-tool --list-slots G ‘DENK|Slot’
Slot 0 (0x0): Nitrokey Nitrokey HSM (DENKxxxxxxx0000 ) 00 00
serial num : DENKxxxxxxx
Slot 1 (0x4): Nitrokey Nitrokey HSM (DENKyyyyyyy0000 ) 01 00
serial num : DENKyyyyyyy
Slot 2 (0x8): Nitrokey Nitrokey HSM (010000000000000000000000) 02 00
serial num : DENKzzzzzzz
Slot 3 (0xc): Nitrokey Nitrokey HSM (010000000000000000000000) 03 00
serial num : DENKwwwwwww

Update: Oh, I see: you mean iSerial from lsusb --verbose. And yes, there the serial number is not composed into the line of the reader

But still you will need to understand the slot no aligned with USB.
BTW: I wonder when I see the following things:

Slot 0 (0x0): Nitrokey Nitrokey HSM (DENKxxxxxxx0000 ) 00 00
manufacturer: Nitrokey
hardware ver: 0.0
firmware ver: 0.0
flags: token present, removable device, hardware slot
token label : UserPIN (SmartCard-HSM)
token manufacturer : www.CardContact.de
token model : PKCS#15 emulated
token flags : login required, rng, token initialized, PIN initialized
hardware version : 24.13
firmware version : 3.1
serial num : DENKxxxxxxx
pin min/max : 6/15

HW and FW Version is not used, manufacturer should be Nitrokey and not the Smartcard Card producer, nor ? And the token label always has the prefix of “UserPIN ( )” ???
Strange !

Sorry for delay.
This is the expected output. The smart card is identified with the ATR, and commands are suited for this one particular. I guess hardware and firmware version getters implementation could be added. Smart card firmware and hardware are present though.
I suspect UserPIN seems to be a prefix for tokens, which require user PIN to execute operation over it (from my OpenPGP past experience), but I have not confirmed that.