Customize sign function. Where to start

Hi,

I’m trying to modify the firmware and I need some help with where to start. Below is what I’m trying to do.

In very simple terms, the sign function should do
signature = Nitrokey.sign(message).

I want to customize the firmware so that the function checks certain conditions of the message and it only signs if those conditions are met and deny otherwise. This is to add another layer of security in case my server gets compromised.

I did a search in the github repo and I see that there are 5 places with eddsa_sign_25519, but I still couldn’t get a good gist of how to proceed. I would really appreciate any guidance on where to modify/start.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

cmd_pso looks like a function that gets called after a smartcard PERFORM SECURITY OPERATION command will be received.

However, some bad news for you - looks like only hashes will be accepted for signing; it will accept at most 256 bytes of input if I see correctly. So probably your firmware needs to be checked prior to this hashing operation, and this is probably done in software on your CPU.

– Input must be hash: My messages are just bytes array so I believe that’d be okay.

– At most 256 bytes: I believe I understand what you are saying as I see that there is a length check in the cmd_pso function here. But if I’m not mistaken, I actually don’t see the length check in the official GNUK repo. So my follow-up questions:

1. Is this difference due to the hardware capacity of Nitrokey Start?
  2. If I’m not mistaken, I can’t seem to find any length restriction on the input message in the official GNUK repo. If the answer to the above question is yes for any reason, does that mean if I flash the official GNUK on a stronger hardware board, would I be able to sign input longer than that?

Thank you.

Looks like this was ⚓ T5041 gpg-agent/scdaemon/gnuk unable to sign ssh certificate (Couldn't certify key … via agent: agent refused operation) and GNUK fixed it in

commit bf30144144498e5ea303942ed5479c9759aa7fb7
Author: NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@fsij.org>
Date:   Thu Sep 3 10:42:20 2020 +0900

Remove Ed25519 signing condition against EDDSA_HASH_LEN_MAX.

See GnuPG bug report: https://dev.gnupg.org/T5041

Signed-off-by: NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@fsij.org>

but still it will be limited by the size of the buffer that can be sent to the card.

Nitrokey firmware seems to be forked off GNUK 1.0.2 from 2013.

This makes sense! Thank you for confirming this fix.

Where can I find more info about the buffer capacity? Can’t seem to find such info in here and here.

That’s a murky area of extended APDU support - I don’t know how well gnuk and host interfaces fare here.