Finding a Backup Device

I have been struggling in finding a backup that I’m confident will work with the Nextbox, since it’s difficult to guarantee that no power will be required through the USB connection as well as the power outlet (with a backup device not working due to power overload, even with an external power supply).
Are there any suggestions from fellow Nextbox users as to commercially available backup devices which both work with the Nextbox and have a significant storage capacity (preferably over 500GB)?

1 Like

Using an “Intenso Memory Center” (with 6 TB of storage) for creating a backup went smoothly a few days ago. Usually, it’s connected to my FritzBox router and serves as a backup and media (poor man’s) “NAS” for the other computers.
Edited to add: I created two ext4 partitions on it.

Thank’s Iothar, that’s really useful. I’ll have a look into it!

You could use an USB 3.x Docking Station with SATA connector and separate Power Supply. This enables for free choice of media size and media type (rotating Hard Disks, SSD). Depending on the docking station, you could even use NVMe Modules.
Example: Delock USB 3.0 Dual Dockingstation Art-Nr. 62661

@nielsson4711 Did you actually try this with the NextBox? :slight_smile:

I’m actually using it.

1 Like

May I ask for your specific set up? I was thinking about using a docking station and possibly use one slot with an HDD and one with an SSD and am wondering whether that’d work frictionless also in terms of cloning.

I’m afraid there is no “specific” setup.

The Nextbox’s raspi chassis requires powered external USB stroage devices. Various of the DELOCK USB3.0/SATA device(s) have their own power supply, as, for eg. the #62661.

In terms of backup: Following a backup concept that is sufficient for my purposes, I use different SSDs to store the data backup. See backup concepts here and relevant literature (technical education, basic studies).

I don’t make use of the cloning feature. If you wan’t to make use of it, request details on the cloning algorithm, from delock.com. I experience them as answering quickly and precisely.

Please take in mind that if you don’t use a SSD regularly, that the data degrades over time. Unnoticed as only few bits flip that get autocorrected but you could also loose all data. Depending on ambient temperature and number of layers in you flash memory and the technology used, this could occur after a short period of only one year.

3 Likes