Heads 1.4 keeps crashing

From the GH ticket:

I have never had a crash issue, with the previous version of heads, on my nitropad T430i
but the moment I upgraded, yeah… things went bad, it keeps crashing after less than 20 minutes of usage. No idea why…

It happens when I am within my operating system on it, so I don’t see what is going on beneath it, aka, no real signs of errors, etc…
Am I missing something?

(moved from 1.4 version of heads keeps crashing · Issue #13 · Nitrokey/heads · GitHub)

I also don’t have the GUI after upgrading to 1.4…

kind of odd right?

EDIT: I used the 1.4 T430.npf on it, but I wonder if I was supposed to, unzip it first…

Not quite sure…

Let me know.

Btw, I should add, I just reflashed, to 1.3.1, it looks correct again, so far… will let you know if it freezes again, in the next 30 minutes or more

But yeah, 1.4 hasn’t been great so far.

Small update, to my original post, 1.3.1 works the same as before!

1.4?

I don’t know why it failed before on my T430…

Weird stuff man… respond whenever, I am waiting.

:slight_smile:

not having the framebuffer gui, just the ascii one, is expected if you use the internal flashing. If I understand you right Crashing means the OS crashes after some time, can you specific the OS and maybe the build in RAM and what CPU you use? we can also move this to our internal support via support@nitrokey.com if you don’t want to share this in pubilc

Hyperbola 0.4, stable, is the OS, the CPU is i7 3632QM,

16GB RAM

No webcam, no microphone,

ath9k wifi card,

500GB SSD,

Otherwise, its the same as listed, with the exception of 500GB no longer being available for SSD…

:wink:

Btw, this was NEVER a problem in 1.3.1 version…

Btw, are you sure internal flashing always has this result?

Doesn’t sound reasonable imo…

As for crashing, its usually at most 30 minutes… last I checked…

!!!

Maybe that is the problem…

geez…

For the internal flashing: Yes the problem is that the maximized image witch supports a Framebuffer, is to big, so there was need to shift some thinks around in this image and make some room. But this broke internal flashing and therefore we now have this 2 images one with framebuffer that can just be flashed external and one without framebuffer for the internal flash.

Yeah… I apologize for not responding sooner, had a hell of a lot of things going on, etc…

Have you released a new fix for this situation?

And if I upgrade, which firmware image should I use?

of the ones that wouldn’t brick my current nitropad device?

The post, before, might be obsoleted by the fact that I tried erasing my nitropad T430’s settings instead of retaining them when I upgraded to 1.4 heads bios for my T430 and the same issue didn’t seem to persist.

I had more to ask beyond this, but this is sufficient I think.

More or less, no one should retain their settings if you have a T430 and if you have freezing issues from upgrading to 1.4 for failing to do so.

Hope this helps someone!

2 Likes