How to analyze Nextbox logs?

Hello,
A couple of days ago I got an issue : while I was away from home (of course) my NextBox server just disappeared from internet.
Once back I found its ‘green light’ was still on (!) but I coudn’t access it through the .local address either, and then I rebooted it.
This reboot went unusual : after a couple of slow green flashes, the light switched off, and after a while I rebooted it again. The second reboot went fine, and everything is OK now.

Still, I was worried and tried to seach what had happened.
It seems there had been no mains shortage (I have an electric clock that resets when this happens : it didn’t).
It may well be that my internet connecting box went faulty : while it’s hard for me to check, I discovered another appliance I have went ‘disassociated’ from Wifi too in the same week.

Now I’d like to scan the NextBox logs, around that worrying week.

I downloaded them, but have no real knowledge for analyzing these very large files.
Are there some specific keywords that would indicate unusual behavior, that I could search for?

TIA!
Hervé

(If this repeats I am considering buying a regulated, battery-relayed power supply! If anyone has a recommendation on this…)

Hey @Herve,

this might indicate that there was something weird going on with your network/router/switch.

overall this is a pretty tough question :wink:
Generally you want to search the rough time-frame the incident likely happend, but apart from that it’s not easy to say what you are looking for. In particular the nextcloud and nextbox-daemon logs might contain the most important logs for such a case.

For the future if this happens again I would suggest to also try to ping the local-ip address (which you can get from your router).

It’s kind of a chicken and egg problem, if you would know the keywords upfront, you wouldn’t need to search for them, but of course any “error” “warning” stuff might point you toward the right lines.

best

1 Like

Thank you Markus!
Indeed while away I tried to ping the server ‘from outside’ with no return. Then once at home I forgot to try this ‘from the intranet’ :unamused:

@daringer
Markus,
Today I’m again away from the NextBox for weeks, and when trying to connect via dedyn.io all I get is the following message :

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the server log.

(There are no other “technical details below”.)

How can I interpret that, and is there anything I can do remotely?

Thank you!
Hervé

P. S. I have a recent backup on the external disk, if that helps, but no way to reach the hardware for a couple of weeks…

Uh @Herve5 , this clearly is nothing you can solve remotely.

What you see there is a Nextcloud error message, so this means that Nextcloud (and the webserver) is actually running, but there seems to be a problem with Nextcloud. This could indicate various things (but mostly it has something to do with Nextcloud not being able to read or write data), but without ssh access the only thing you can do at this point is a power cycle for the NextBox.

I suppose you did try it more than once, right?
Worst case this could indicate either the sd-card or the hard-disk degrading (especially together with your last non-reachable incident), this would be very unlikely given the age of the components, but possible.

Once you can access it again, I would be very interested in the logs, just send them to support@nitrokey.com and I’ll take a look. Sorry this happened while you are away :frowning:

best

1 Like

Thank you Markus!
I fear I cannot power-cycle the NextBox remotely : I don’t even see the NextCloud login window; the lines above are the only thing appearing on the page when I try to connect.
I do have the logs from last week, so with the previous incident recorded -not the new ones at the moment. I’ll send these to you as soon as I’m back from work, so late this afternoon.
I have a ‘normal’ HD in my NextBox, so maybe I could switch to an SSD, but I’d need some step-by-step, as I imagine the disk must be partitioned specifically…