Nitrokey Pro with GnuPG under CentOS 6

Hi all. I’ve spent quite some time setting up GPG with Nitrokey Pro under CentOS 6. I have it working for the application that I need, which is SSH authentication using public keys. Since I have encountered a few issues on the way, I thought I’d share my experience.
This procedure was tested on a clean VirtualBox install of latest 64-bit CentOS 6 (6.9). The system was installed from a live DVD ISO.

1. Update the system

yum clean all yum update
2) We need to add some extra packages, and remove some that would cause conflicts (OpenCT)

yum install gnupg2-smime ccid yum remove pcsc-lite-openct openct
3) Add IDs for Nitrokey products, as described in Nitrokey docs (Installation/Nitrokey Pro/GNU Linux and then second point; I’d put in a direct link, but being a newbie on the board, it won’t let me). The file to edit is /usr/lib64/pcsc/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle/Contents/Info.plist

1. GNOME keyring daemon takes over ssh/gpg-agent functions, but it doesn’t implement smartcard functionality, so we have to disable it. There are many explanations on how to do it nicely (through a GUI) or less nice (by editing /etc/xdg/autostart scripts), but the only thing that actually worked for me is a rather blunt
chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon

If anyone knows of a better way to disable the GNOME keyring daemon, that actually works on CentOS 6, I’d love to hear it.

1. Add udev rules for Nitrokey products. We need to create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/41-nitrokey.rules and in it we will place what is basically this file but with one addition at the end:

[code]# Nitrokey U2F
KERNEL==“hidraw*”, SUBSYSTEM==“hidraw”, MODE=“0664”, GROUP=“plugdev”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“2581”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“f1d0”

Nitrokey FIDO U2F

KERNEL==“hidraw*”, SUBSYSTEM==“hidraw”, MODE=“0664”, GROUP=“plugdev”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“20a0”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“4287”

SUBSYSTEM!=“usb”, GOTO=“gnupg_rules_end”
ACTION!=“add”, GOTO=“gnupg_rules_end”

USB SmartCard Readers

Crypto Stick 1.2

ATTR{idVendor}==“20a0”, ATTR{idProduct}==“4107”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER}=“1”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER_DRIVER}=“gnupg”, GROUP+=“plugdev”, TAG+=“uaccess”

Nitrokey Pro

ATTR{idVendor}==“20a0”, ATTR{idProduct}==“4108”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER}=“1”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER_DRIVER}=“gnupg”, GROUP+=“plugdev”, TAG+=“uaccess”

Nitrokey Storage

ATTR{idVendor}==“20a0”, ATTR{idProduct}==“4109”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER}=“1”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER_DRIVER}=“gnupg”, GROUP+=“plugdev”, TAG+=“uaccess”

Nitrokey Start

ATTR{idVendor}==“20a0”, ATTR{idProduct}==“4211”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER}=“1”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER_DRIVER}=“gnupg”, GROUP+=“plugdev”, TAG+=“uaccess”

Nitrokey HSM

ATTR{idVendor}==“20a0”, ATTR{idProduct}==“4230”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER}=“1”, ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER_DRIVER}=“gnupg”, GROUP+=“plugdev”, TAG+=“uaccess”
RUN+="/bin/bash -c ‘/usr/bin/killall -9 scdaemon’"
LABEL=“gnupg_rules_end”[/code]
I’ve added the RUN line to ensure that the scdaemon will be restarted when the Nitrokey is removed and then reinserted. This is another heavy-handed approach, but without it the key would not work properly (actually, at all) after it is removed and then inserted again. People have also reported that a similar solution is needed when a laptop with the key inserted goes to sleep and then wakes up, but I haven’t tested it.

1. Reboot the system

2. Edit the ~/.bashrc file to add gpg-agent support by appending the following lines:

#GPG Nitrokey envfile="$HOME/.gnupg/gpg-agent.env" if [[ -e "$envfile" ]] && kill -0 $(grep SSH_AGENT_PID "$envfile" | cut -d= -f 2) 2>/dev/null; then eval "$(cat "$envfile")" else eval "$(gpg-agent --use-standard-socket --daemon --write-env-file "$envfile")" fi export SSH_AUTH_SOCK GPG_TTY=$(tty) export GPG_TTY gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye >& /dev/null
A few things to note. I’ve had to use the ‘–use-standard-socket’ option with gpg-agent. Without it, it creates temporary sockets in /tmp, but apparently some of the other utilities in CentOS 6 expect the standard one (~/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent). Additionally, if we want to use gpg-agent for SSH, there is an issue of communicating which tty is to be used for displaying PIN queries if a text/curses prompt is needed. The last line lets the agent know which tty to use. Without out, the agent might be unable to display a PIN prompt and respond with somewhat cryptic “Agent admitted failure to sign using the key.”

1. Create gpg-agent configuration file ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf and add this to it:

pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry enable-ssh-support
There are various versions of pinentry program, which can be listed with

yum whatprovides /usr/bin/pinentry*

and used as needed.

1. Open a new terminal. If the gpg-agent was never configured before, the .bashrc code should output something like:

gpg-agent[2725]: directory `/home/miroslav/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d' created gpg-agent[2726]: gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.0.14 started
You could test it with command gpg-agent, and it should output:

gpg-agent: gpg-agent running and available
  1. Insert the Nitrokey. If you are using a VM, make sure that the USB device is redirected to the virtual machine (Devices/USB menu in VirtualBox). The lsusb command output should include a line like:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 20a0:4108 Clay Logic 

Bus and Device numbers can be different, but for the ID should be as shown for a Nitrokey Pro device.
Try the gpg command

gpg --card-status

and it should show information about the Nitrokey Pro.
I’ve used a guide from http://xmodulo.com/linux-security-with-nitrokey-usb-smart-card.html to set up the SSH authentication. The guide recommends the use of official Nitrokey application to configure access PINs, but you can do it using gpg commands like so:

[code]gpg --card-edit
(…info about the card…)
Command> admin
Admin commands are allowed
Command> passwd
gpg: OpenPGP card no. … detected

1 - change PIN
2 - unblock PIN
3 - change Admin PIN
4 - set the Reset Code
Q - quit

Your selection?[/code]
Btw, is there a plan to make the official application usable on older distros? CentOS/RHEL 6 are not new by any measure, but will be supported till (I think) 2020 and are in rather broad use.
Anyhow, I hope this might help someone. Any comments on workarounds, ideas on how to do things better with Nitrokey on CentOS 6, etc are welcome!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. We may add them to the documentation later.

Btw, is there a plan to make the official application usable on older distros? CentOS/RHEL 6 are not new by any measure, but will be supported till (I think) 2020 and are in rather broad use.

Not in the moment. Making the Nitrokey App available for up-to-date distros is a lot of work and we don’t have capacity to focus on older distros too. However, we are open to accept patches if you would provide such.