NitroPad T430 Firmware Update Brick

I tried to update the NitroPad T430 firmware to 1.4 so I can run Qubes 4.1, but I have accidentally bricked the device.

The .npf file was not working when I tried to flash with this. I tried redownloading it and still it didn’t work, so then I tried the .rom maximised file and accidentally bricked it.

The device now just has a black screen and no boot menu. How can I fix this?

The instructions are wrong as it shows selecting the .rom file:

Hey @simondavies315

Well, looks like you skipped the documentation specifically created for this update: Firmware Update v1.4+ - Nitrokey Documentation and the part which says:

Never try updating your NitroPad using the -maximized image, if you do not know exactly what you are doing!

Just as an additional warning, the releases page on Github says in bold:

If you try to update your Nitropad from a running system using a -maximized image, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR NITROPAD.

Although, if the .npf does not work, it looks like your Nitropad was not on version 1.3.1 before, will add a hint for that on both pages.

The good news is: your Nitropad has only a bricked firmware now and all the other stuff is still there and fine, please write an e-mail to support@nitrokey.com together with your order reference (SOxxxxxxx) and we’ll find a solution.

edit: oh I see you’ve already done that. Can I kindly ask you to not do multi-channel spamming of the same issue? This generates additional efforts and will not accelerate handling the process, thanks…

best

@daringer Thank you for your reply. I followed the photo instructions. I did not read the GitHub properly which I apologise for.

I sent an email and created an issue on here as I wasn’t sure the best place to put it so it was seen by the right people.

I am happy to post the NitroPad back to Germany if need be. I am fairly technical so can fix it my end if this is possible and someone can guide me. Even if I need to buy an external flasher.

Here Firmware Update v1.4+ — Nitrokey Documentation at the bottom are rough instructions how to do so (with an external flasher), on the t430 it is quite a painful process including opening (and disassembling) the T430, my feeling is that’ll be better to send it in, let’s continue this discussion through the ticketing system and find a proper solution.

Thanks mate. Can you message me through the ticketing system and I will post it back in if it’s easier.

I don’t mind paying for you guys to fix it, at least it will be compatible with Qubes 4.1 after.

@daringer I have not received a response to my email that I sent into the support email address.

yeah, sometimes it more than a day after the weekends, but looks like your are in discussion now :wink:

I need to learn patience, I blame it on my Aspergers :slight_smile:

They are talking to me via email now. Thanks mate.

Hey,

I’ve found several posts of people who had an issue which required externally flashing the firmware to Nitropad, but no detailed explanation of how to do that. Would it be possible for this to be posted here or for this: Firmware Update v1.4+ - Nitrokey Documentation - to be updated with information that is understandable to someone without experience in this particular action?

In some cases, posting a laptop to Germany might be very expensive. In my case, I have to flash externally, because without that I’m not able to install the newest Qubes on x230, because of a bug/issue beyond my control, which leaves me with an outdated system. I am in contact with someone via email, which is very slow (which I understand is because of your workload and it’s of course fine), but perhaps posting the info would mean that you get less direct asks for the same thing?

Thanks!