Nitropad X230/Qubes - Cannot read the new kernel

Hi NitroTeam!

After the dom0 update, I am not able to boot anymore. I followed the procedure on System update - Nitrokey Documentation but still made a brick from it. :slight_smile:

It says:
…
Loading the new kernel:
kexec -l /boot/…
Cannot read /boot/xen…gzFailed to load the new kernel.
…
!!! Failed default boot.
New value PCR…
!!! Starting rcovery shell
/boot #

Please, look on the attached screenshot.

Well, the files seem to be correctly signed. Thus, I would guess, that the xen file itself is corrupted. What you could try first is a boot with all tamper-detection off, to make sure it has nothing to do with Heads (which I guess is the case here).

Options–>Boot Options–>Ignore tampering…

If this fails, you might find out if you can boot a older version (to fix the file) via

Options–>Boot Options–>Show OS boot menu

But I don’t know if there is a fallback in QubesOS boot menu.

Thank you! I managed to boot with the new kernel but had to stay on previous xen version.

maybe restarting the update helps?

It seems to be related to my very first dom0 update attempt which crashed and I had to force the reboot. The /boot/xen-4.8.5-16.fc25.gz does have zero size actually. It is part of the xen-hypervisor pgk which I am trying to re-install, following the qubes guide Installing and updating software in dom0.

Hi! Is the issue solved here?

I would say yes. The next update of xen-hypervisor pkg fix it and I am now running on latest-one. It was caused by crashed dom0 upgrade. As of now, all seems to be stable. Thank you Nitro Guys…

1 Like

Noobie Question; I have a similar list but am unsure which one to select, what order is the list in and what do the numbers mean?

I’m having a similar issue, where I’m not able to do anything, ie. booting the Qubes from internal disk or installing Qubes from USB iso. When I try to install new Qubes 4.1 I get this message:

Qubes Warning: /dev/root does not exist Generating “/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt” Entering emergency mode. Exit the shell to continue. Type “journalctl” to view system logs. You might want to save “/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt” to a USB stick or /boot after mounting them and attach it to a bug report. Press enter for maintenance (or press Control-D to continue):

Then, I tried the above “Ignore tampering…” and that allows me to get to Qubes Disk password screen, but I think that’s a very old Qubes installation that I don’t at all remember the password of, because I wasn’t able to boot it and use it for months.

My question is, how I can choose ignoring the tampering but then go boot from USB so that I can actually install Qubes 4.1, because presently, it seems impossible?

Thanks.