NitroPC: remote power on

Hi,

I’m looking for a solution to power on a NitroPC remotely. I’m familiar with two approaches but also open for alternatives.

1. Wake on LAN (WoL)
  2. Switching power distribution unit

I do not see how to do WoL with NitroPC. The second approach would require NitroPC to power on as soon as there is power available.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Tobias

Hey @tokum,

1. Wake on LAN (WoL) is not supported by our Coreboot/Tianocore firmware
  2. So far I remember the NitroPC should automatically start if the power supply switches from off to on

Nevertheless the system will not boot, as the FDE requires you to put in your encryption password, so overall it might not be easily doable to start the NitroPC unattended.

best

My NitroPC doesn’t boot after a power toggle (I have a remotely controlled power outlet)
This is unfortunate as I’m using the NitroPC as small server.

The FDE on the other hand is not the problem, I’m using dracut-sshd (https://github.com/gsauthof/dracut-sshd)

woops, changed my post, as my memory seems not accurate there.
Yes, then sorry I do not really have much more ideas…
based on coreboot-builder (https://github.com/Nitrokey/coreboot-builder) you could build your own firmware supporting this

best

Hi, I’m already using my own coreboot build (including own power limits), but i don’t know where to change the power on behaviour.
Can you point me in the right direction in the code?

hey @kirdesde

good question, had a short look, found no trace despite this in the coreboot boot logs:

Set power on after power failure.

This is likely the reason I falsely believed it is activated by default, but in detail it just reads: after power failure

Means I do also have no idea where you might set boot after power toggle, sorry

@kirdesde Did you made it work ? I’m in the same need (auto power on after power loss), and found this related thread: NitroPC Power on after power failure does not work, but it doesn’t seem to be working (I have not tried flashing my own firmware image yet).