"Operating System Reinstallation" and "Factory Reset"

Hi, I have purchased a NitroPad X230 with Qubes OS preinstalled and a Nitrokey Storage 2 a few months ago. After concluding that Qubes was to complicated for my use I wanted to switch to Ubuntu and followed the instructions for “Operating System Reinstallation”. After struggling with various error messages and dead ends I decided I might as well do a “Factory Reset”. When I now do default boot I only get the message “+++ Found verified kexec boot params”…and here I am stuck, anyone who can assist a newbie feeling quite frustrated…? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @qwerty,

can understand the Qubes OS struggle :wink:
Generally if “default boot” does not work it seems like something is broken with your Ubuntu installation, I would suggest to run through the “Operating System Reinstallation”, then default boot should work and bring you into your Ubuntu system.

“Should work” means that you have to confirm some warnings after you choose “default boot” after the reinstallation. Usually you afterwards only need to do a System update — Nitrokey Documentation, but if this will not work then you should do a factory reset as described here: Factory Reset — Nitrokey Documentation.

1 Like

Thanks for the assistance, @daringer !
I have started the “Operating System Reinstallation”. When getting to Installation type the first error says: “No modifications can be made to the device Encrypted volume (sda6_crypt) for the following reasons: In use by LVM volume group vgubuntu.”…and then “An error occurred while configuring encrypted volumes. The configuration aborted.”…and then when clicking on the different items listed under Installation type (what should I see here?) a new error message comes up: “ubi-partman failed with exit code 141. Further information may be found in /var/log/syslog. Do you want to try running this step again before continuing? If you do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken.” Quit - Continue anyway - Try again…
None of the options can be chosen, everything freeze.

1 Like

wait,

there is something wrong, did you follow the steps here: Operating System Reinstallation — Nitrokey Documentation

because if you did, there should be no prompts during the installation procedure, it’s fully automated. Did you use the provided ISOs?

1 Like

Yes, I did follow the steps listed in Operating System Reinstallation — Nitrokey Documentation. Yes, I also used the provided ISOs. But still, somehow, I must have messed up something… Maybe the logs can provide answers? Not sure what to do to fix the mess…

I have been confused about the different names used to refer to different passwords in different contexts as well as different messages shown on my screen compared to parts of the documentation…

1 Like

okok, then please redo the process using a provided ISO from the referenced documenation.
roughly like that:

1. flash an usb-stick with the ISO as documented
  2. boot from the usb-stick (Boot Options → USB Boot)
  3. wait for the installation to finish (you have (nearly, means 2 OK-clicks or something) nothing to press the whole (ubuntu) install process)
  4. afterwards you should be able to select “default boot” after the next boot, then insert your default harddisk password: “PleaseChangeMe”

if this is working and you have set up your user inside ubuntu, you can reboot and do the “factory reset” together with your nitrokey to get rid of the warnings during the heads-boot.

best

1 Like

Thanks for your patience, @daringer. I guess this is Linux/Ubuntu 101 knowledge, but my problems start under point 3 (in your list above) when I come to the “Installation type” screen. I simply don’t know enough about what should be on that list and what items are critical, what is unnecessary left overs (?) from past installation attempts etc. For example, without experience with Linux/Ubuntu systems the message “No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu” tells a complete newbie (…or at least me :stuck_out_tongue: ) very little… I have bought a couple of books on Ubuntu and will dig into it, but it would be very helpful just with a screenshot showing what should be on that list, maybe just a link to Ubuntu’s documentation with brief explanation. Again, many thanks for your patience! :slight_smile:

1 Like

ah ok, now we’re nailing it :wink:

I don’t have a screenshot handy, but please select “OEM installation”, if I remember correctly. If you select this option, then you should not really be prompted afterwards.

There will be nothing from your old installation afterwards, this is a full wipe of all data on the hard-disk.

1 Like

When during step 3 (in your instructions above) I am prompted to “Choose the boot option [1-10, a to abort]:” I chose option 8 “OEM_install_(for manufacturers)[/casper/wmlinuz]" (previously I chose the first option on the list "Ubuntu[/casper/vmlinuz]”…wgich has exactly the same name as option 2 and very similar to option 9…).

The “checking disks” process complete to 100% with final message that two errors were found (without specifying) before loading the graphical part of installation with “welcome to Ubuntu” screen. During this process error dialog box comes up:

"An error has been detected while trying to use the specified Ubuntu archive mirror.

Possible reasons for the error are: incorrect mirror specified; mirror is not available (possibly due to an unreliable network connection); mirror is broken (for example because an Invalid Release file was found); mirror does not support the correct Ubuntu version.

Additional details may be available in /var/log/syslog or on virtual console 4.

Please check the specified mirror or try a different one."

It is not possible to proceed after this message appears…

1 Like

Did you connect your Nitropad to the internet? The installation procedure will also check for latest updates of the Ubuntu packages, therefore it is needed. So far I remember it’s not possible to use WiFi at this point, so you need a wired connection during this step.

1 Like

Wahh…that’s a bit embarrassing, but it all worked out perfectly when I 1) chose option 8 “OEM_install_(for manufacturers)[/casper/wmlinuz]" AND turned on the wifi (no cable needed)… Thanks for your patience with a complete newbie, greatly appreciated! :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

ahh ok, very good, thanks for reporting,
didn’t know for sure that’s also working with WiFi.
:+1:

1 Like