State of the product nitrokey3

Hi,
I got the nitrokey 3C some months ago. Now evenings get longer and I wanted to start.

It seems that the only documentation are five short pages at Nitrokey 3 With Windows - Nitrokey Documentation
Do I understand that only FIDO2 and FIDO 2FA work?
Everything else is “planned”? Since about two years?
For windows there is no working software at all only nitropy is “testing”?

Please tell me that I did miss something …

Hi,

welcome to our forum!
nitropy has become quite stable on windows and we update it continuously. One can consider it working but we dont want to remove the experimental flag as long as we make bigger changes.

OpenPGP features are in alpha right now and we inform about the ongoing development in our blog (OpenPGP Card Alpha For Nitrokey 3 | Nitrokey).

The nitrokey 3 was announced 1.5 years ago as “work in progress” product, which is still the case.

Ofcourse we hoped to be faster and at a further point but the global chip shortage did slow us down.
You can read all the details in our blog.

If you want to be informed via email about news I recommend subscribing to our newsletter.

Best regards,
Simon

Hello I appreciate the work done by Nitrokey team on this project and its Nitrokey 3 product. I am looking forward to own one of these for my personal use.

But i had some queries regarding the nitrokey 3A product

• is there any plans for a mobile app for storing and accessing totp from the nitrokey.
    If not please consider to do so.
    Maybe it gets compatible with an existing open source app in the market.
    (purely speculating if it were possible.)
  • Also can i upgrade the firmware without needing much knowledge of linux/cli on a windows computer ?

This would allow non-technical users to easily use the product without going into much of the command line/linux or using a desktop for totp.
Thanks !

Dear @kevino, currently there is no plan for a mobile app. I will forward your input to team though. The firmware of Nitrokey 3 devices can either be update with pynitrokey on the CLI or with a soon to be released graphical application.

1 Like

hey thanks for the response !
Also can you clarify about the password manager capability of NK3 which allows it to be used with password managers like keepassxc which supports HMAC-SHA1 challenge response function.
Is it a part of the OpenPGP feature implementation or it is going to be implemented separately.
If its separate then is it going to be be fulfilled only after Openpgp and otp are implemented ?
I think it may not be a priority feature.

Hi @kevino, the NK3 will have a OTP secret storage and a password storage. These two features will be eventually implemented in one component. The OTP secret storage is planned for the next firmware release. There are plans to implement HMAC-SHA1 challenge response function for the use with password managers, but I currently have no release date for this. Lastly, the password manager/otp features and OpenPGP smartcard feature are distinct components.

1 Like