USB Drive Missing (english + german)

My Nitropad is not detecting my USB drives. I am trying to reinstall Qubes and it keeps prompting: “USB Drive Missing.” Then it is goes to another page that reads:

New Value of PCR[4]: (a bunch of numbers)
Scanning for USB storage devices...
sh: 0: unknown operand
!!!!! Something failed during USB boot
New Value of PCR[4]: (a bunch of numbers)
!!!!! Starting recovery shell
[   44.306243] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page found
[   44.306271] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through 
[   44.315145] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] No Caching mode page found
[   44.315206] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
-#

I followed the instructions to reinstall qubes. I am not a noob. I just don’t get why the nitropad is not detecting my USB drives. Even when I was updating the firmware to v1.3 it also mentioned USB drive missing BUT after I pressed “ok” it showed a list of drives for me choose and then I chose the USB drive with the new firmware it worked.
But when I try to update the Operating System it does not detect the USB drive. Is there something that I need to do to make it recognize the USB drive?

German Translation

Mein Nitropad erkennt meine USB-Laufwerke nicht. Ich versuche, Qubes neu zu installieren, und es wird immer wieder die Meldung “USB-Laufwerk fehlt” angezeigt. Anschließend wird eine andere Seite mit folgenden Informationen angezeigt:

Neuer Wert der PCR [4]: ​​(eine Reihe von Zahlen)
Scannen nach USB-Speichergeräten ...
sh: 0: unbekannter Operand
!!!!! Beim USB-Start ist etwas fehlgeschlagen
Neuer Wert der PCR [4]: ​​(eine Reihe von Zahlen)
!!!!! Starten der Wiederherstellungs-Shell
[44.306243] sd 7: 0: 0: 0: [sdb] Keine Seite im Caching-Modus gefunden
[44.306271] sd 7: 0: 0: 0: [sdb] Angenommen, Laufwerkscache: Durchschreiben
[44.315145] sd 7: 0: 0: 0: [sdc] Keine Seite im Caching-Modus gefunden
[44.315206] sd 7: 0: 0: 0: [sdc] Angenommen, Laufwerkscache: Durchschreiben
- #

Ich habe die Anweisungen befolgt, um qubes neu zu installieren. Ich bin kein Neuling. Ich verstehe nur nicht, warum das Nitropad meine USB-Laufwerke nicht erkennt. Selbst als ich die Firmware auf Version 1.3 aktualisierte, wurde auch erwähnt, dass das USB-Laufwerk fehlt, ABER nachdem ich Wenn Sie auf “OK” klicken, wird eine Liste der von mir ausgewählten Laufwerke angezeigt. Anschließend habe ich das USB-Laufwerk mit der neuen Firmware ausgewählt, die funktioniert hat.
Wenn ich jedoch versuche, das Betriebssystem zu aktualisieren, wird das USB-Laufwerk nicht erkannt. Muss ich etwas tun, damit es das USB-Laufwerk erkennt?

Operating systems (OS) are usually updated from within the OS itself. How does this relate to Heads not detecting USB drives?

Hi,

What image do you use for the QubesOS installation? Is it from here?

PS @iamacarrot: single English version of the post should suffice, but thank you for the effort!

@jan I believe this is about reinstalling the OS. As far as I know Heads does not handle some boot images (e.g. Windows OS installation), which perhaps is what @iamacarrot mean.

Yes that is what I used and I just flashed it with balena etcher to an empty 64GB USB drive Using a mac computer. Then I followed the instructions to boot from USB but it is saying that the USB Drive is Missing. Not sure what else to do. I can’t access the Qubes operating system because I am locked out. I did a full disk encryption along with a regular user password lol. BTW this is about my Nitropad x230 not windows.

For now the only thing I can think of is using a different USB because maybe it doesn’t like the usb i am using idk.

hi jan,
I can’t access the qubes operating system because I am locked out it. I don’t remember my disk encryption password nor my log in password lol i know i am dumb.

Are you saying that that I should press something after I “boot by default” but before i get the disk password prompt? Do you know what I should press to choose USB as a boot device?

PS i am using the Qubes english version. and Heads doesn’t recognize it the bootable usb. Is it because my disk is fully encrypted also?

No

no.

Try a different USB drive and connect it to a different USB port of the NitroPad.

wow So i tried a SanDisk USB drive and turns out it is able to detect it now wow. So I guess Memorex USBs drives don’t work.
HOWEVER
Now i have other issues lol.example: TOTP: Decryption failure from TPM_Unseal.

A factory reset should solve this issue.

Yup i did factory reset and ended up getting a HOTP error. lol Jan sorry for so much trouble I am trying to troubleshoot.